You’ve made a handmade gift quilt to celebrate a special occasion: a graduation, a wedding, the birth of a new baby, or a precious friendship. Why not say something special to match the occasion on the label that tells the recipient who made the quilt?
Here is a list of sayings and quotes to put on your quilt label to show the recipient how much care and creativity was lavished on this special, one-of-a-kind gift.
All-Purpose Quilting Quotes and Sayings
- When you sleep under this quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love
- From my hands… to your heart
- The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love
- May this quilt warm your body and comfort your soul
- Memories stitched with love
- When you use this quilt, remember me
- I wish you health/I wish you wealth/ I wish you gold in store / I wish you Heaven after death/ What could I wish you more?
- I count the stitches line by line/ And watch the thread record the time
- Love and memories we impart/ To quilt the fabric of the heart
- May you be free from cares and woes/ When under this quilt you seek repose
Quilting Quotes and Sayings about Friends
- A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped around the heart
- Good friends, like quilts, never lose their warmth
- Our friendship (or our family) is a patchwork of love
- Our friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
- Friends are the flowers in the garden of life
- My friendship quilt
- Friendship, like a well-made quilt, stands the test of time
- Our friendship is a tapestry/ Woven through the years/ With threads of joy and laughter/ Happiness and tears
- Many faces, many smiles/ Remember me across the miles
Husband or Wife / Anniversary Sayings
- Love is the thread that binds us together
- Like our (my) love, this quilt was made to last
Wedding Gift Quilting Quotes
- May this union be blessed with love and happiness
- Joined together in friendship, united forever in love!
- New love in bloom now fills your life/ As you become husband and wife
- Love, honor, and cherish
- There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved
- “Love is patient and kind/ Love is not jealous or conceited or proud/ Love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable/ Love does not keep a record of wrongs/ Love is not happy with evil, but rejoices in the truth/ Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13
- “Take spring when it comes, and rejoice. / Take happiness when it comes, and rejoice. / Take love when it comes, and rejoice.” Carl Ewald
- “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” David Viscott
- “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.” Jean Anouilh
- “To love someone deeply gives you strength./ Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.” Lao Tzu
- “Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.” Roy Goodman
- “There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” Martin Luther
- “Two such as you with such a master speed cannot be parted nor be swept away from one another once you are agreed that life is only life forevermore together wing to wing and oar to oar.” Robert Frost
Baby Quilting Quotes
- A package of joy, a bundle of bliss/ This quilt for baby was sealed with a kiss
- Blessed are the children, for they shall inherit the quilts!
- Ten little fingers/ Ten little toes/ The sweetest of smiles/ And a cute little nose/ All these add up/ To a wonderful thing–/ A baby–/ The greatest gift/ Life can bring.
Quilting Quotes for Illness or Difficulties
- “In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus
Using Poetry for Quilt Labels
If your quilt is large enough, you can print an entire poem on a printable fabric sheet and use the poem as the label. The quilt label shown below quotes the famous World War I poem “In Flanders Fields” in memory of a beloved father who died. Some of Shakespeare’s sonnets are short enough to make beautiful quilt labels. You can find a wealth of beautiful poetry, much of it out of copyright, on the Poetry Foundation website.